- (1 tbsp) Lard
- (1) Onion, diced
- (1) Poblano pepper, diced
- (3 cloves) Garlic, minced
- (3 lbs, cut into 1/2-inch cubes) Pork Shoulder Roast
- (3) Chipotle peppers in adobo
- (2 cups) Pumpkin, roasted & pureed
- (1-14 oz can) Stewed tomatoes
- (4 cups) Chicken Bone Broth
- (3 tsp) Dried Oregano
- (To taste) Salt & Pepper
Heat the lard* in a stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Once the lard has melted, add the onion and poblano. Sauté until the onion starts to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and oregano and sauté until fragrant.
Add the cubed pork shoulder, and brown the meat. After the meat is browned, stir in the chipotle in Adobe peppers, puréed Pumpkin, and stewed tomatoes. Pour in the chicken stock. Scrape the bottom of the pot to get the browned pieces off. Bring the pot to a simmer. Simmer for an hour.
*Note: You can render some of the trimmed Pork fat on low heat to have liquid fat to cook with. You can even fully render the trimmed fat into lard to save for future use.